Alexandr Nevsky Cathedral, Sofia - Bulgaria 03.Nov.2022
St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is a Bulgarian Orthodox cathedral in
Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria. Built-in Neo-Byzantine style, it serves
as the cathedral church of the Patriarch of Bulgaria and it is one of
the 50 largest Christian church buildings by volume in the world. It is
one of Sofia's symbols and primary tourist attractions. St. Alexander
Nevsky Cathedral in Sofia occupies an area of 3,170 square metres and
can hold 5,000 people inside. It is among the 10 largest Eastern
Orthodox church buildings. It is the largest cathedral in the Balkans.
It is believed that up until the year 2000 it was the largest finished
Orthodox cathedral. The Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is a cross-domed
basilica featuring an emphasized central dome. The cathedral's
gold-plated dome is 45 m high and 46.3 m with the cross, with the bell
tower reaching 53 metres. The roof span of the central nave is 28 metres.
The temple has 12 bells with a total weight of 23 tons, the heaviest
weighing 12 tons and the lightest 10 kilograms. The interior is
decorated with Italian marble in various colours, Brazilian onyx,
alabaster, and other luxurious materials. The central dome has the
Lord's Prayer inscribed around it, with thin gold letters.
The construction of the St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral started in 1882 (having been planned since 19 February 1879), when the foundation stone was laid, but most of it was built between 1904 and 1912. Saint Alexander Nevsky was a Russian prince. The cathedral was created in honour of the Russian soldiers who died during the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-1878, as a result of which Bulgaria was liberated from Ottoman rule.
The cathedral was designed by Alexander PomerantsevThe final design was finished in 1898, and the construction and decoration were done by a team of Bulgarian, Russian, Austro-Hungarian and other European artists, architects and workers, including the aforementioned architects, as well as Petko Momchilov, Yordan Milanov, Haralampi Tachev, Ivan Mrkvička, Vasily Bolotnov, Nikolay Bruni, Alexander Kiselyov, Anton Mitov and many others.
The marble parts and the lighting fixtures were created in Munich, the metal elements for the gates in Berlin, while the gates themselves were manufactured in Karl Bamberg's factory in Vienna, and the mosaics were shipped from Venice
The name of the cathedral was briefly changed to the Sts. Cyril and Methodius Cathedral between 1916 and 1920 (since Bulgaria and Russia belonged to opposing alliances in World War I), but then the initial name was restored. The St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral was consecrated on 12 September 1924 and in 1955 was declared a cultural monument. (https://en.wikipedia.org/)