Sazak

Karaburun, Izmir - 1999 / 2008

 

"Sazak was built at a slope,in a 3 km distance from seaside in Karaburun.Its name origin comes from the turkish word "Sancak" that means flag, because it was built at a very high position and it was visible from everywhere. In 1911,Sazak population consisted from 685 Greeks and only 15 Turks
Greeks used Turkish language.They came to Sazak from various places of Greece like Peloponnese, Chios Island etc. They abandoned Sazak in 1922 and spread all over Greece"

Text by Andreas Baltas from the book "Karaburun of Minor Asian Erythraia"

 

 

HOME

GALLERY

CONTACT

 

2004-2010 Designed and prepared by Aydin Cetinbostanoglu